AUS: 1300 630 488    NZ: 0800 1477 6287

A walk in the ruins

Nine members of the Probus Club of Tea Tree Gully Trailblazers Group left from Gate 6 of the Anstey Hill Recreation Park at 9:30am to complete the Newman’s Nursery Ruins Walk.

Anstey Hill is named after a road built by agricultural pioneer George Alexander Anstey. The park was declared a public reserve in 1989.

Charles Newman and his wife Mary, assisted by their 17 children, developed a nursery on the site between1857 and 1871. In 1889 plant stocks included over 100,000 orange trees, the same number of mostly muscatel grapevines and 500,000 other fruit trees. It grew 300 varieties of orchids, 350 of chrysanthemums and 700 of roses. At the time it was the largest nursery in the Southern Hemisphere.