AUS: 1300 630 488    NZ: 0800 1477 6287

Bus Trip

Ventura Bus lines took thirty four of the members of Berwick Central Combined Probus Club to Overnewton Castle in Keilor.  

They were received by the guides as if they were family and made to feel most welcome and given tea or coffee on arrival. The original building was conceived by William Taylor who named it after his birth town in Scotland. Building commenced in 1849 and he added the west wing to the present shape ten years later.

The years have been kind to Overnewton Castle and it remains much as it was originally built but is now hidden away among the old  elms and oak trees that where planted so long ago. The building has seen many changed in life-style, gone are the days of horse and carriage, gas lights and servants, but the renovations have preserved the old world grace and charm along with the grandeur and atmosphere of the age. William lived here until his death in 1901 when one his sons took over the estate. He sold it to the Carr family who converted it into a wedding reception venue with an added dining room. It was in the hands of a Hotel group for a short time before the present tenants bought it in 1975.

It’s interesting to note that the suburbs of Taylors Lakes and Taylors Hill and named after the Taylor family.

Members loved this outing partly because they where given access to all thirty six rooms with none roped off. It was agreed that this venue is definitely a hidden treasure.